About the Claudette and John Brassil Distinguished Educator Award
Purpose: The Maine Council for English Language Arts, an affiliate of the National Council of Teachers of English, is proud to announce the Claudette and John Brassil Distinguished Educator Award. The purpose of this award is to recognize exceptional English language arts and literacy teachers who have demonstrated excellence in teaching, contributed to the profession, and shown a commitment to the community.
Eligibility: Nominees should be full time English language arts or literacy teachers of students in grades 6-12 and have taught for at least five years in public or independent schools in Maine. Nominees do not have to be a member of the Maine Council for English Language Arts. Teachers may be nominated by a supervisor or a teaching peer.
Award Criteria: Teachers nominated for this award should:
- Demonstrate commitment to student-centered learning
- Inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Provide leadership in the profession at the school, district, state, and/or national levels
- Develop and share effective practices
- Be involved in the community and school beyond the classroom
Award Details: The awardee will receive:
- Free registration for the MCELA annual conference
- MCELA membership for one year
- Invitation to present a workshop session at the MCELA annual conference to share a best practice
- A recognition award
Nomination Deadline: Currently Closed. Award to be announced March 17 2023. Next nomination cycle Fall 2023.
Click here to see past winners.
Click here to read more about Claudette and John Brassil.
Submit your nomination through this digital form: to be opened fall 2023.
Award Selection: Nominated teachers will be contacted in December of 2023 and will be asked to submit additional information via a Google form link sent to them. Additional information from nominees must be submitted by January 31, 2023, to be considered for the award.
Award Announcement: the award winner will be announced at our in-person conference on March 17, 2023.